Password
Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Clogged up 2 stroke Exhaust
01-26-2010, 03:26 PM
Clogged up 2 stroke Exhaust
Hi,

I had a Kawasaki KMX125 when i was at school. The bike's performance started deteriarating, and eventually couldn't go over 70km/h.

I took it to a bike shop and they de-coked the pipe with a blow torch. And presto bike went like a rocket again.

My question is: Is this the recommended way of doing it? any other tips or tricks?

Thanks guys.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2010, 03:32 PM
RE: Clogged up 2 stroke Exhaust
oven cleaner!

[Image: copy2.jpg]
01-26-2010, 09:35 PM
Fire!!!!!! hahahaha. I know people heat it with an oxy-aseteleen torch. Not sure whats the most effective though.

{Hey now, don't look back, always look forward, stay on track}
01-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Ok, thanks. I read that using a torch might weaken your exhaust if you don't do it correctly. So I won't try that route. I have a habit of messing things up at the best of times. I will try the oven cleaner. Plug the one side of the exhaust. pour in the cleaner, swish it around for a few minutes. and leave it in for a couple of hours. Repeat the process untill clean. I think this is the way.

Thanks
01-27-2010, 01:14 PM
i think if your bike is set up the right way the jetting ex then the pipe wont clogged up

stage 2 porting,+4 timing,hemihead,20cc pro design domes,carbon fiber, reeds, reed spacers ,boost bot, bossen pipes ,16/41 sprokets
01-27-2010, 04:19 PM
(01-27-2010 01:14 PM)tjoepman Wrote:  i think if your bike is set up the right way the jetting ex then the pipe wont clogged up

What Tjoepman says is correct. Also your premix that you use is one of the most important.

Banshee 1 (Trail): 4mm Crank, Mod Trail Port (By BVH), VF3's, DMC 916's, 24cc domes at 1.1mm squish, +4 Timing

Banshee 2 (Play): STD Stroke Cub, Boyesen Reeds, CPI's, 21cc domes at 1.1mm squish, PWK 33's, K&N Pods, +7 Timing, CF1 Rims, Fireball Racing A-Arms, Elka Suspension, Durablue +4, +4 Swing-arm.
10-18-2011, 09:41 PM
There are guys in the UK that use Caustic Soda to de-choke 2stroke zorsts. Apparently works well! Would be VERY carefull tough!!
10-19-2011, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2011 09:11 AM by tobylouw.)
Sup

The guys are all right, a correctly jetted 2-stroke won't clog the exhaust and also running proper 2 stroke oil will help a lot. Also save your engine.

I tried the caustic soda route, its a mission and you have to be so careful coz when it touches skin you cry.

The method basically, plug one end of the pipe with a piece of potato (Easiest) mix up a very strong batch of caustic soda in hot water, pour it into the zorst and plug the other end with a piece of potato as well. Then place the whole thing in a tub full of water so that it is submerged. Leave over night and hope when you pull it out that its clean. They recommend beating it lightly with a rubber mallet or something that won't damage the zorst to loosen up the stubborn parts.

Flaming it is still the best way, gets you the quickest result. The idea is, heat it till its glowing then pump, and correct me if I'm wrong torch gas through the one end, the thing ignites on the inside and all the carbon build up burns away and out the other end.

Highly recommend after cleaning the zorst taking your bike for jetting. You shouldn't have this problem.

Oh and I also understand running a 2 stroke at low rpm's will causing build up as well, that's why a lot of guys have told, drive it like you stole it, all the time Smile keeps it clean.
10-19-2011, 12:32 PM
All exhausts do carbon at the exh manifold, or the first few inches on the header pipe and at the stinger after the cone, doesn't matter what oil you use, it will happen after a few years.... Its not serious, but its there...

BVH Racing Developments
Pure 2-Stroke PASSION

082 821 45 15

bvhdevelopments@gmail.com

Skype me on bvhdevelopments

2 Chronicles 7:14
10-20-2011, 08:15 PM
(10-19-2011 09:08 AM)tobylouw Wrote:  Flaming it is still the best way, gets you the quickest result. The idea is, heat it till its glowing then pump, and correct me if I'm wrong torch gas through the one end, the thing ignites on the inside and all the carbon build up burns away and out the other end.

If you pump normal air through it has the same effect, just needs some oxygen to help burn.

Gav

"Don't feel bad. You're not the first 750 rider to get blown off by a Yamaha 350"

Current Projects!
2001 YZ250 with WR convertion LINK
1981 RD350 LC "Hybrid" Cool LINK
1983 RD 350 YPVS Restoration. LINK
History
RD125 LC
RZ50 LC
[Image: McLeod.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user